St Paul’s Church


All that now remains of St Paul’s church is the 120ft tower and broach spire, located at the SW corner of the abbey churchyard. This is a Grade 1 listed structure, built in the 13th century in perpendicular gothic style. The tower was located at the NW corner of the church, which was a double-naved building which is thought to have extended eastwards for approximately 103 feet.


On 20th August 1542 Archbishop Cranmer granted a licence to the people of Malmesbury for the conversion the nave of Malmesbury Abbey into a parish church “because their own church St Paul’s is fallen, even unto the ground”.


The remains of the church, except the tower were taken down in 1852. The materials were sold by the churchwardens and evidence can be seen in many of the town centre cottages.